Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Review: Anybody But Him

Anybody But Him

Should you read this book? 

Answer: YES 

(if you want an entertaining read)

 

Here's why:

This novella was very entertaining. It is a sweet, honest romance that will make you fall in love. Personally, it took me awhile to get used to the Australian English, but after I got over that it was an enjoyable read. It made me laugh and cry, which in my opinion is the mark of a good book with a dynamic story. The main character Nicola Doyle was likable, I found her instantly relate-able with her terrible dating history and dislike of her hometown. When she is forced to move home to take car of her ageing parents Nicola must reconcile the awkward teenager she was with the elegant woman she has become. She reconnects with her childhood best friend and faces her former nemesis/childhood crush.

Claire Baxter does a great job of developing Nicola but all the auxiliary characters fall flat. This may be because it is only a novella and Claire did not have the time to develop the rest of the characters or it could be here style. I really enjoyed the sub-plots, so it would have been nice if they had been further developed. As this is the first book I have read by Claire Baxter, I am not sure. There were also several times in the novella when it jumps over a few weeks in Nicola's life, but it is not clear at first that a large chunk of time has passed.

That being said, I completely enjoyed this novella. I look forward to reading more by Claire Baxter and I suggest you do the same.


Overall, it was entertaining but for me the true judge of a book is if I would read it again. In the case of Anybody But Him, I would happily read it again in the future, which is why it has received a YES rating.


Next up on my reading list: Secret Bond by Gemma Halliday and Jennifer Fischetto

P.S. Please post your thoughts about this book in the comments below! I would love to know what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment